The rules are primarily to ensure the safety of competitors during sailing and specifically to avoid collisions between blokarts by setting clear rules around who has right-of-way under various situations.
These rules also ensure a consistent approach to blokart set-up and sailing which are aligned with the one design policy of our sport.
Once you have learnt these rules, you can sail and race with safety and confidence around the world.
The current Edition 6 rules which came into force on 1 January 2018 can be downloaded from here:
IBRA Rules Edition 6 (PDF)
ABC Ardmore Venue Race Rules
There are also ABC Ardmore specific race rules updated 8 Jan 2018 when competing at our home venue that complement the above IBRA rules.
Quick Overview of Sailing Rules
There are 3 fundamental give-way rules.
- A port tack blokart keeps clear of a starboard tack blokart
- Blokart clear astern keeps clear.
- Windward (upwind) blokart keeps clear of leeward (downwind) blokart
If your unsure about something, please ask one of our members, they are happy to help you understand the rules. Our experienced members are lenient on beginners and the club holds rules discussions regularly. With the 3 basic rules above, you can get out there and learn as you go!
Electronic Timing System
The club uses a MyLaps electronic timing system with transponders fitted to every kart. Transponders may be purchased or hired, and can be used at most other national and international Blokart events as well as they generally use the same hardware. For instructions on correct fitting of the transponder.
Notes on Transponder use:
- Keep your kart at least 1m away from the loop to avoid flatening the transponder battery
- There is approximately a 4 second lock out where you tag will not be re-read. So if your over the line early – you have to be out of range of the loop for more than 4 seconds to get another read logged.
- Please make sure you have the right tag in the right place in the right kart for the right sailor! (Obvious – but some people share karts or have more than one transponder.)
- If traveling to another club, please advise them of your transponder number (XX-1234) in advance if you haven’t attended with your own transponder before.
- The electronic timing system is always right!
- 08 Jan 2018Post Christmas Sunday Race Series
- 13 Dec 2017Download our Event Calendar
- 06 Oct 20172017 Pre-Xmas Series – NoR
- 03 Sep 20172017 Club Champs 16/17 Sept – NoR
- 18 Apr 20172017 The Great Race 100km – Muriwai Beach 20/21 May